The truth behind so-called meat “by-products” in pet foods isn't a “nice” one. But then, neither is the truth behind sausages and we eat those, too, right? (Well…some of us do, anyway.) Indeed, the entire concept of animal consumption-not to mention animal slaughter -isn't very pleasant when you think about it, so much so that an increasing population of humans worldwide is unwilling to eat, wear, or do anything else to animals that mirror the level of respect we give to humans.
Category First aid for dogs
Overview of Smoke Inhalation and Carbon Monoxide Toxicity in Dogs Dogs can be poisoned by a number of ways. Besides ingesting toxic substances, they can breathe in toxins present in the air. The most common inhaled toxins are carbon monoxide and smoke from fires. Carbon Monoxide Toxicity in Dogs Carbon monoxide is typically associated with confinement in a running vehicle but can also occur in a home with improper ventilation and faulty furnaces.
Overview of Slug and Snail Poisoning in Dogs What's worse than stepping on a slug in your bare feet? Accidentally poisoning your much-loved dog with slug bait! If you have a problem with snails in your environment, be careful what you use to get rid of them. Your dog is prone to poisoning from household materials, especially your dog (who usually eats almost anything).
Overview of Marijuana and Cocaine Exposure in Dogs The ever-increasing prevalence of illicit drugs in our society often affects our dogs. Exposure to certain drugs, most commonly marijuana and cocaine, can have deleterious effects, especially if not treated. Unfortunately, because of the illegal nature of these drugs, diagnosis and treatment are sometimes delayed.
Overview of Canine Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Toxicity Acetaminophen is a medication commonly used to alleviate fever and pain. Common brands include Tylenol®, Percoset®, aspirin free Excedrin® and various sinus, cold and flu medications. Dogs most commonly receive toxic amounts of acetaminophen because owners medicate them without consulting a veterinarian.
Overview of Metaldehyde (Slug Bait) Toxicity in Dogs Metaldehyde poisoning results from the ingestion of products containing the active ingredient metaldehyde, a common ingredient used in molluscicides, which are products used to kill snails and slugs. Slug and snail baits generally contain three percent metaldehyde and products are formulated as blue or green colored pellets, powder, liquid or granules.
Overview of Canine Arsenic Poisoning Arsenic may be a common poison used in murder mysteries, but it is not common as a poisonous danger to dogs. Years ago, however, accidental arsenic poisoning was more common because it was often used in ant and roach bait. Children and animals sometimes ingested the bait.
Overview of Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs Rodenticide poisoning is the accidental ingestion of products used to kill “rodents” such as mice, rats and gophers. These products are common and accidental exposure is frequent in dogs. Poisoning is most commonly caused by ingestion of a product containing one of the following ingredients: Bromethalin Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Strychnine Zinc phosphide Anticoagulant (warfarin, fumarin, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, difethialone, pindone, bromadiolone, brodaficoum) Younger and older pets tend to be more sensitive to the affects of toxicity and underlying liver disease can exacerbate toxicity.
Overview of Poison Ivy and Poison Oak in Dogs Poison oak and poison ivy belong to a group of plants called toxicodendron. These are also known as Rhus species. The toxic principle in poison oak and poison ivy is urushiol. This toxin is an oil resin found in the plant sap. Dogs are quite resistant to the effects of urushiol but can transmit the toxin to a person.
Dogs Ingesting Polyurethane Glue is on the Rise Dogs Ingesting polyurethane glue is on the rise, in fact there has been a 309% Increase in expanding glue ingestion cases since 2002! Imagine this scenario: a young Boxer puppy chews open a tube of polyurethane glue, accidentally left out by his owners who were using it to do repairs on their home, and swallows some of its contents.
Overview of Paint Ball Toxicity to Dogs Paintballing can be fun but includes many potential dangers to our canine friends. Paintballing is a pastime for adults and kids that consiss of a “cowboy and Indian” type game where opponents try to “shoot” each other with paint balls. Paintballs are little bullets of paint used for shooting games.
What to Do IF Your Dog Swallows Your Medication Prescription medications can be found in millions of households. Your dogs can be exposed to and even ingest some of these medications. If this occurs, prompt treatment is often crucial to prevent serious illness. If you witness the ingestion of a medication, the first thing to do is to call your veterinarian, local emergency facility or animal poison control hot line.
Overview of Canine Antidepressant Drug Toxicity Increased recognition of human depression and advances in human medical therapy for depression has increased the amount of humans using antidepressant medications. Because of this, pets are also getting help from the same prescription medication for a variety of animal behavioral problems.
Overview of Permethrin and Pyrethrin Toxicity in Dogs Fleas are frustrating and annoying insects that thrive on our dogs, and getting rid of them is an important and sometimes difficult process. Fortunately, many products are available to reduce the flea population within our homes and on our dogs. The most popular products include those supplied in small tubes that are applied to the back of the dog.
Home Care for a Laceration on Your Dog One of the MOST common traumas seen in emergency rooms are lacerations. Dogs come in of all sizes and shapes with lacerations anywhere on the body. Often, the history is that the dog was out in the yard playing and came in bleeding. The owner tries to figure out where the blood is coming from and find a laceration.
Your normally healthy, active dog is vomiting and acting depressed or tired - and your plant has been mauled. Or, your dog has gotten hold of that chocolate cake sitting on the table, and now he's paying the price. Most veterinarians have fielded those frantic calls from dog owners, whose dogs ingested something that made them sick.
Important Household Dangers to Dogs 1. Paper shredders and dogs - a new danger to both dogs and cats. Most paper shredders have an on/off and self feed buttons. Cats go everywhere and have been known to walk on the top of the shredder and get a foot or hair caught in the folds. The motor can also be warm, making laying on the shredder an attractive spot for some cats.
Overview of Canine Cocoa Mulch Toxicity Most types of mulch are safe if ingested by a dog but there is one potentially toxic type of mulch made from the hulls of cocoa beans. Cocoa shells are a byproduct of chocolate-making and contain ingredients similar to chocolate. When this type of mulch is fresh, it even has the aroma of chocolate and when ingested has effects similar to those of chocolate toxicity.
What You Should Do If Your Dog Has an Allergic Reaction Allergic reactions are a very common reason dogs end up in animal emergency rooms. Dogs can have allergic reactions to bug bites such as bee or wasp stings or even an allergic reaction to vaccines. Most often, dogs have allergic reactions and we never actually determine what the underlying cause is.
Overview of Canine Nicotine Toxicity Nicotine is a poisonous alkaloid derived from the tobacco plant and used in medicine and as an insecticide. Nicotine is found in a variety of sources, primarily cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco, nicotine gum, nicotine inhalers, nicotine patches nicotine nasal spray and nicotine insecticides.
Overview of Bufo Toad Toxicity in Dogs Toads of the genus Bufo, live in many parts of the world and, unbeknownst to many pet owners, can be toxic to dogs. The Bufus marinus toad species is especially common in southern Florida. Many thousands of dogs are exposed to these poisonous toads every year in places like this.